SUBAL has released a new housing for Olympus’ flagship OM-D camera, the EM1. The award-winning mirrorless EM1 packs a 16-megapixel four-thirds sensor, on-sensor phase detection elements, razor-sharp 2.3 million-dot electronic viewfinder, 10fps continuous shooting, and excellent low-light performance, with an ISO range of 100–25,600.
SUBAL’s EM1 housing takes full advantage of the camera’s impressive feature set, with full control over the EM1’s photo and video functions. In addition, you get pro-grade hard-anodized and multilayer powder-coated aluminum construction, SUBAL’s ultra-reliable Quick Lock closure system, an integrated leak alarm, and fiber-optic connections for your strobes (plus bulkhead option).
Shipping in June 2014, the EM1 housing has an MSRP of US$3,150 (without port).
Below is the press release from SUBAL along with more images.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the produce mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner – Backscatter.com
SUBAL Gmbh Austria announces the release of the professional underwater housing SUBAL EM1 for the Olympus OM-D EM1 mirrorless camera.
SUBAL, the world-renowned professional underwater housing manufacturer based in Austria, is proud to present the SUBAL EM1 housing. SUBAL has now entered the mirrorless camera sector using their experience gathered in the SLR and video housing manufacturing. With its revolutionary design, ergonomic handling and renowned quality, SUBAL will set new standard in the underwater imaging industry.
Over 40 years tradition in housing manufacturing, high quality craftsmanship, ergonomical and comfortable controls are embedded in this new housing. The handling and feel of a SUBAL is unmistakable and the unmatched reliability is unbeatable.
SUBAL EM1 newest flagship housing, designed for one of the best mirrorless camera in the market.
Design and perfect handling are required by every photographer. Nothing is left to chance shooting in rough conditions. Professional photographers demand robust, highly reliable equipment, allowing access to all camera functions. We understand that just hundredths of a second can make the difference when capturing the decisive moment.
The housing will be available in June 2014 with a MSRP of US$3,150.00 (Port not included).
SUBAL incorporates decades of experience and technology, pushing the boundaries further in the underwater housing industry. Innovation and design have crystallized in SUBAL’s creating the most ergonomic housing for the EM1 camera in the market.
Features and Control with Handling in Mind
The ease of operation and superior construction features and reliability of SUBAL underwater housing, form part of our tradition and engineering DNA. We provide innovative solutions that achieve maximum user-friendliness and comfort. All functions of the camera can be operated. Video function, menu, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation, OK, multi function keys, info, AFL, AEL among others.
Designed with handling in mind. Subal engineering team play a key role, taken in consideration the ergonomics and perfect arrangement of the Olympus EM1 controls and functions, to allow the photographer easy operation and access to all photo and video functions while holding the camera.
The SUBAL EM1 housing is produced from a solid block of high grade-seawater-resistant aluminum. The housing is anodized, and put through a chemical hardening process. SUBAL is the only underwater housing manufacturer to use this patented, hard-coat anodizing. A 3-layer powder-coating is added, giving the SUBAL housing an elegant finish and further protecting it from the environment. All shafts, screws are made of high-alloy chrome-nickel steel, to extend operational lifetime. The advanced manufacturing process and high-grade materials ensure that your investment will last a lifetime. The housing, like every other SUBAL housing, is equipped with the SUBAL Quick Lock closure system for maximum safety.
- Designed for professional underwater use
- Access to all camera and video functions
- Equipped with leak alarm as standard
- Two fiber-optic connectors
- One bulkhead connector with optional N5, Ikelite and S6 connector
SUBAL EM1 Black Version
Optional Viewfinder Options
SUBAL supplies a wide range of viewfinders to support the EM1 housing. For example the straight GS 180º viewfinder and the WS 45º enlarging viewfinder, excellent for macro shooting. The 30° prism viewfinder for video recording is also available.
Two fiber-optic ports are available to fire flashes from the Inon Z-240 or S-2000, Sea & Sea YS-D1 and YS-01. This system provides full accurate TTL flash mode. Optional bulkhead available on request for Nikonos V, Ikelite and S6.
Optional Accessories for the EM1 Housing
- Extensive line of SUBAL dome and flat ports.
- Gears for all major underwater lenses available.
- Easy exchange of viewfinders GS180º, WS 45º and Prism Viewfinder 30°.
- Full line of mounting accessories: arms systems, strobes, adapter, mount balls are available.
- Housing Construction: Machined from single block, specially treated, seawater corrosion-resistant, aluminum alloy. Hardness treatment and coated with 3 layers of powder paint.
- Design: Ergonomic placement of all the important controls provides convenient and comfortable handling of all camera functions.
- TTL/Strobes Options/Flash: 2 Sea & Sea or INON fiber-optic ports.1 flash connector (optional) Nikonos V, IKELITE or S6 Socket.
- Port Mount Type: Bayonet 2 size. All SUBAL Domes and Flat ports options available.
- Lens Options: Lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic can be used. Starting from the Panasonic 8mm fisheye to the Olympus 60mm macro.
- Dome Port Options: DP 100/2 , SWB and DP FE/3 with S2/S3 adapter.
- Viewfinder Options: Standard viewfinder supplied. Optional GSV 180°, GSV 45° and 30° Prism Viewfinders.
- Leak Alarm: Yes – Standard.
- Display: Yes.
- Dimensions: Width: 220 mm, Height: 150 mm, Depth 90 mm (w/o port and handles)
- Buoyancy: To be determined
- Depth Range: 80 meters standard version and 120 meters TEC version on request.
- Color Options: SUBAL Standard Color and Black TEC version on request.
- Weight: 1.2 kg incl. grips (estimated)
- Controls: All functions of the camera can be operated : video function, playback, delete, menu, white balance, ISO, quality, release, BKT, Flash mode, measuring method, exposure compensation, OK, multifunction keys, info, AF mode, AEL/AFL function, zoom (manual focus), lens release, lock port among others.
SUBAL evaluates constantly new lenses as they arrive on the market and suggests best options for underwater use. The following lenses from Olympus and Panasonic can be used. This camera offers an excellent variety of lenses for underwater imaging, from the Panasonic 8mm fisheye to the Olympus 60mm Macro.
Supported lenses for the EM1 housing:
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm 1:2.8 PRO
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60 mm 1:2,8 Macro
- Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power OIS
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
- Panasonic Lumix Leica DG Macro 45 mm Elmarit 1:2,8 ASPH
(Further lenses can be added on request.)
SUBAL GMBH is an Austrian-based underwater housings manufacturer for professional camera and video equipment. More than 40 years experience in innovative, cutting edge design and state-of-the art manufacture techniques, have made SUBAL name a leader in the market for underwater professional housings.
SUBAL continues to push boundaries in the industry by providing trusted, innovative and highly reliable solutions for the underwater filmmaking and photographic industry.
With a global dealer network, we provide after-sales service, technical assistance and support on every continent, anywhere in the world.
SUBAL is committed to meet customer´s expectations and provide innovative products to the underwater imaging world.
Please contact your local dealer for more detail information.
Ikelite Housing for Sony ZV-E10
Nauticam M16 USB-C Bulkhead
Canon RF 10–20mm f/4 L IS STM
OM System TG-7
Plan Your Adventure >