Nauticam has unveiled a new cinema housing for the RED Komodo-X. The latest addition to the Komodo line boasts a 6K Super 35 global shutter sensor that is capable of capturing 6K at 80fps as well as 4K at 120fps. The camera features a locking RF mount, on-camera assignable buttons, and an integrated touchscreen LCD.
Much like Nauticam’s housing for the RED Komodo, the new housing is built around the N120 Cinema port system, a platform shared by the company’s DSLR and cinema camera systems that allows the mounting of both DSLR and cinema lenses as well as easy integration with underwater optics like the WACP-1, WACP-2, SMC-1 and SMC-2. The housing supports the use of EF lenses via Canon’s adapters.
The housing can be used with the Atomos Shinobi SDI monitor or the Ninja V monitor—in Nauticam’s housings, naturally. Nauticam's Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System is fitted as standard.
Available from retailers such as Backscatter, the Nauticam KOMODO-X housing costs $9,665.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
THE RED KOMODO-X
The KOMODO-X camera features a 6K Super 35 sensor with up to 16 stops of dynamic range. R3D files (REDCODE RAW) can be recorded directly to CFast 2.0 cards, eliminating the need for expensive proprietary media. It also features Canon's new RF mount with full support of the Canon EF to EOS R lens adaptor allowing a wide variety of focal lengths to be used. The KOMODO-X is second in size only to the RED KOMODO allowing it to have one of the smallest form factors of the RED Digital Cinema Lineup. The feature set is clearly aimed at those requiring professional-level specs in a travel-friendly package, which accurately describes the majority of underwater filmmakers. The KOMODO-X includes the next generation of imaging sensors with completely overhauled sensor architecture, updated pixel design, and improvements in both details and color in shadows.
Key Camera Specifications:
- 6K Super 35 Sensor (6144 x 3240)
- R3D Files (REDCODE RAW)
- Records to CFast 2.0 cards
- Canon RF-PL Lens Mount
- Dual Battery Mount (Canon BP-955/975)
- 12G SDI Out
- Integrated LCD Screen with Touch Camera Control
- Wireless Control From a SmartPhone
- Global Shutter
- Anamorphic Options
- REDCODE RAW
- 6144 x 3240 at 40 fps
- 5120 x 2700 at 50 fps
- 4096 x 2160 at 60 fps
- 2048 x 1080 at 120 fps
- ProRes 422/ProRes 422HQ
- 4096 x 2160 up to 60 fps
- ProRes 422
- 2048 x 1080 up to 120 fps
THE NAUTICAM KOMODO HOUSING
The Nauticam KOMODO-X housing is engineered in a similar fashion to previous RED KOMODO housing, providing the most compact and travel-friendly system possible. Komodo-X offers seamless integration with DSLR lenses and the same N120 port system used in Nauticam DSLR and Cinema systems. Enjoy unmatched user-friendly setup and intuitive operation including tool-less setup and tear down in minutes. Batteries can be swapped without ever removing the camera from the housing, and lens changes can be accomplished in seconds.
The Nauticam KOMODO-X housing uses the N120 Cinema port system, shared with Nauticam's other N120 platform cameras which allows for an easy transition to the Nauticam Komodo-X from other N120 Nauticam systems. The N120 system also provides access to Nauticam's line of professional premium optics such as the WACP-1/2 and SMC-1/2.
The housing also features adjustable handles with easy access to the cinema-style zoom and focus knobs. On top of the housing is a 1/4"-20 cheese plate which allows for a wide variety of accessory mounting points.
The Nauticam KOMODO-X is also backed by Nauticam's 2-year warranty.
The RED KOMODO-X is compatible with RED RF-PL adaptors and includes a locking RF mount to give you extra piece of mind. The Nauticam KOMODO-X housing offers full support of the Canon EF to EOS R Adaptor along with the Canon EF to EOS R Adaptor with Variable ND Filter. The left side of the housing features an easily accessible command wheel for smooth ND changes. Regardless of EF or RF lens selection, changing lenses is quick, easy, and doesn't require any tools. Note that when changing between RF and EF lenses, the camera must be removed from the housing to remove or install the RF to EF adapter. Nauticam is constantly testing new lenses to provide optimized port and extension combinations. Large cinema-styled control wheels on the housing, located within easy reach of the handles, provide precise manual focus and zoom control with supported lenses when used with the corresponding lens gear set.
Not being limited to using DSLR lenses is crucial for cinema systems and the Nauticam KOMODO-X housing, when used with the 16410 N120 to N200 Port Adapter can support the use of Cinema Lenses and the associated N200 Port System. Installation is quick, easy and requires no tools allowing seamless lens switching in the field - even when changing between DSLR and Cinema lenses.
EXTERNAL MONITOR SUPPORT
The Atomos Shinobi SDI monitor or the Ninja V monitor can also be mounted in the external Nauticam NA-Shinobi-S housing or Nauticam Atomos Ninja V-S housing and be connected via SDI bulkheads and cables allowing greater flexibility when positioning the monitor on the Nauticam Komodo housing.
Required accessories for SDI Cable System
Recommended monitor housing
- 17922S Nauticam Ninja V-S Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5'' with AtomX SDI Module. With the below items or 17926S SDI Cable Set
- 25060 SDI Cable in 0.4m length (SDI cable in 0.4m length for connection from camera to underside of SDI Bulkhead
- 25058 M16 SDI Bulkhead
- 25061 SDI Cable in 0.75m length (for connection between SDI Bulkheads)
- 17926 Nauticam NA-Ultra5 Housing for SmallHD Ultra 5 camera monitor
- 17926S SDI Cable Set for use with NA-Ultra5
Camera Control over Ultra 5 Monitor
- 17926 Nauticam NA-Ultra5 Housing for SmallHD Ultra 5 Camera Monitor
- 16265R UW Camera Control Cable Bundle for NA
ETHERNET REMOTE CONTROL
While the Nauticam KOMODO housing is engineered to allow for full control by the operator, it also supports an ethernet surface feed in 5m (pole cam) and 45m (studio) lengths. Within the housing, there is space to install a small ethernet router which would allow for full control of the camera at the surface through the RedControl App.
Recommended Ethernet Cables
- 16261 Ethernet Surface Cable Set in 45m length (Incl. housing lemo bulkhead with integrated internal cable and external Duracell cables)
- 16262 Replacement of Housing Lemo Bulkhead with Integrated Ethernet Cable
- 16263 Ethernet Surface Cable Set in 5-meter length (Incl. housing lemo bulkhead with integrated internal cable and external Duracell cables)
*USB-C to Ethernet adapter is required for use with 16261/3
VACUUM CHECK AND LEAK DETECTION SYSTEM
The Nauticam KOMODO housing features Nauticam's field-tested Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System that provides constant updates on the water-tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. By drawing a slight vacuum inside the housing using a reliable and compact manual hand pump, the system is able to ensure water-tightness before entering the water as well as throughout the dive. A simple color-coded LED lighting system, easily visible at the rear of the housing lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur. The Nauticam system is temperature compensated, eliminating false alarms caused by a change in outside temperature, or from a camera heating up on an action-packed dive.
What's In The Box:
- Komodo-X Housing
- 25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pre-installed)
- 90120 Housing O-ring, lubricant, O-ring remover
- 2x Handles with mounting balls
- Monitor Shade (only included with Shinobi/Ninja V monitor back)
- CR2032 Battery (for moisture alarm and vacuum system)
- Allen Wrench Set
- Housing Skids
- Wheeled Case with Custom foam insert
- 2x 0.25Kg Trim Weights
- 2x 0.5Kg Trim Weights
PDF Manual Download for Nauticam Komodo Coming Soon
- 17959 Housing Mounting Ball with 1/4'' Screws
- 16701 Top Handle for E2/F/C70/BMPCC/KOMODO
- 25221 M10 Strobe Mounting Ball for Housing
- 16232 0.25kg Trim Weights for 16227
- 16233 0.5kg Trim Weights for 16227
- 25060 Spare/Replacement SDI Cable in 0.4m Length (for connection from camera to Shinobi SDI monitor or Ninja V with AtomX SDI Module
- REDVOLT NANO 45Wh
- REDVOLT Micro-V 98Wh
- Anton Bauer Titon Micro 90 V-Mount 45Wh/98Wh
- Bebob V-MICRO 45Wh/98Wh
- Core SWX NANO Micro 98Wh Lithium-Ion Battery (V-Mount)
- Fxlion NANO ONE/TWO Ultracompart 50Wh/98Wh
- Hawk-Woods Mini V-Lok 14.4V 98Wh Li-Ion Battery
- IDX System Technology Imicro-150 14.5V 97Wh Li-Ion Vmount Battery
- SWIT PB-M98S 14.4V 98Wh Pocket Battery with D-Tap and USB Output (V-Mount)
- SmallRig VB50/99 Mini V-Mount Battery
|Isotta Housing for OM System OM-1 I & II
|SeaLife SportDiver Smartphone Housing
|Nauticam Fisheye Conversion Port (FCP)
|Ikelite RC1 TTL Receiver for AOI and Backscatter Octo Housings
Plan Your Adventure >