Nauticam has unveiled its housing for the new a7C, Sony’s new compact full-frame mirrorless camera. Unlike the Alpha 7 and Alpha 9 series full-frame cameras, the a7C takes its design inspiration from the a6000 series of cameras with APS-C sensors.
Built around the N100 port system, like Nauticam’s housings for the full-frame a7 series, the NA-A7C features integrated handles, ergonomic control placement (including right-hand thumb lever for AF-On), and the company’s vacuum check and leak detection system as standard.
Like many recent Nauticam housings, the NA-A7C features a large-bore M24 bulkhead to support HDMI 2.0, allowing you to connect an Atomos Ninja V external recorder. Strobes can be triggered via fiber-optic cables with the addition of an optional LED flash trigger, while an electrical bulkhead is also available.
Shipping now from retailers such as Backscatter, the NA-A7C costs $2,586.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
The Sony a7C Full Frame Camera
The 24MP Sony a7C is Sony's newest and smallest full frame camera. It resembles a body size closer to the APS-C sensor Sony a6600, yet offers the same hybrid, real-time tracking autofocus system as the higher-end alpha models from Sony. It offers 5-axis image stabilization and can shoot bursts up to 10fps with auto focus.
Key Camera Specs
- 24MP BSI CMOS full frame sensor
- "Real-time tracking" AF System
- Oversampled 4K video up to 30p (1.2x crop), including 8-bit S-Log and HLG
- Continuous shooting up 10fps
- 3.0" 921.6k-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- 2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- 5-Axis In-Body Image Stabilization
- Large 'Z-type' battery, rated to 740 shots per charge
While the a7C shares a great deal in common with the a7 III, the biggest standout difference is the size. According to Sony, the a7C is the world's smallest full frame interchangeable lens camera with in body stabilization. Not only is it much smaller, but the a7C also gained Sony's latest auto focus technology making this a clear competitor in the compact mirrorless market. Along with the a7C, Sony also introduced the compact FE 28-60mm f/4-5.6 lens which is fully compatible with both the Nauticam WWL-1 and WACP-1.
The Nauticam NA-A7C Underwater Housing
Nauticam is the industry leader in mirrorless interchangeable lens underwater camera support. Nauticam has housed more mirrorless cameras, and more Sony E Mount cameras than any other housing manufacturer. This experience results in the most evolved housing line with broadest range of accessories available today.
Pioneering optical accessories elevate performance to a new level. Magnifying viewfinders, the sharpest super macro accessory lenses ever made, and now the highest quality water contact wide angle lenses (the WWL-1 and WACP-1) combine with the NA-A7C housing to form a complete imaging system.
Nauticam is known for ergonomics, and an unmatched experience. Key controls are placed at the photographer’s fingertips. The housing and accessories are light weight, and easy to assemble. The camera drops in without any control presetting, and lens port changes are effortless.
NA-A7C features an integrated handle system. This ergonomic style provides exceptional control access, even with thick gloves, with ideal placement of the shutter release and a thumb-lever to actuate the AF-ON button from the right handle.
Nauticam build quality is well known by underwater photographers around the globe. The housing is machined from a solid block of aluminum, then hard anodized making it impervious to salt water corrosion. Marine grade stainless and plastic parts complete the housing, and it is backed by a two year warranty against manufacturing defects.
Several in-house Nauticam optical designs, designed by founder and Managing Director Edward Lai, are the perfect lenses to pair with an a7C underwater system. The magic of the water contact lenses is their tremendous versatility, paired with outstanding in-water performance. Both macro and super wide angle optics are available to the underwater photographer on the same dive. These lenses are completely engineered for use in water, providing the highest image quality available today in a water contact optic. While there are many options, we'll focus on the most compact and versatile setup to match the travel friendly size of the a7C.
WWL-1 is a wide angle conversion lens, compatible with the Sony FE 28-60mm f/4-5.6 lens, providing 130 degree diagonal field of view with full zoom through! The WWL-1 offers class leading center sharpness, corner sharpness, and contrast resulting in some of the best wide angle images possible underwater.
CMC-1 and CMC-2 provide the best macro performance for the Sony FE 28-60mm f/4-5.6 lens, with two different magnification strengths, suitable for a wide variety of macro subjects. CMC-2 is less strong, making it easier to use with more accurate autofocus. CMC-1 is best suited for the smallest of macro subjects. Macro enthusiasts will surely want both!
Fast and Reliable Flash Triggering
Reliable rapid fire manual flash triggering is available with the NA-A7C for a variety of optically fired flashes when used with the LED Flash Trigger (26302). The NA-A7C comes fiber optic ready and accepts the Universal Fiber Optic Cable (26216).
Strobes and light arms can be attached to the housing via included 1″ accessory mounting balls.
Electrical strobe triggering is still an option for those with an investment in legacy lighting gear, requiring the purchase of an accessory electrical bulkhead (25056).
Integrated Vacuum Check and Leak Detection System
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection system is available with NA-A7C as standard equipment. Combined with an optional vacuum valve (PN 25624), this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur.
What's In The Box
- NA-A7C Housing
- 1x 90139 Spare Main O-ring, O-ring remover and lubricant
- Housing Cap
- CR-2032 Battery (for Moisture Alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys
- Padded housing bag and shoulder strap
- 2x Stainless Steel Handle Brackets
- 2x Handles with mounting balls
- 26302 Mini Flash Trigger for Sony
- 26216 Universal Fiber Optic Cable
- 25624 M14 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 32204 Nauticam 180˚ straight viewfinder for MIL housings
- 32205 Nauticam 45˚ viewfinder for MIL housing
- 37202 Nikonos adaptor for NA-A7II/A9/A7RIII/A7RIV/a2020/A7C
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25056 M14 Nikonos 5-pin bulkhead with universal hotshoe connection
- 25226 20cm lanyard with shackles
- 25412 23cm lanyard with 2 snap hooks
HDMI Recommended Configurations
For HDMI 2.0 Cable System
- 25086 M24 adaptor for HDMI 2.0 cable
- 25098 M24D3R140-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable (for NA-A7C to use with Ninja V housing)
- 17922 Nauticam Atomos Ninja V Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable)
For HDMI 1.4 Cable System
- 25033 Standard HDMI Cable with M16 Thread
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25076 HDMI (D-D) 1.4 Cable in 200mm Length for NA-XT2/XH1/A6400/R5/A7C (for internal connection from HDMI bulkhead to camera)
- 17906 NA-502H Housing for SmallHD 502 Monitor
- 17920 NA-502B-H Housing for SmallHD 502 Bright Monitor
- 17923 NA-Shinobi-H Housing for Atomos Shinobi 5.2" 4K HDMI Monitor with HDMI 1.4 input
*25033 is included in monitor housing
Dimensions: 307mm (W) x 172mm (H) x 103mm(D)
Weight (in air): 1.78kg
Weight (in water w/ camera): 0.19kg
Depth Rating: 100m
Port Opening: N100
Model Number: 17429
USA Retail Price: $2,586
More information is available from Nauticam at: www.nauticam.com
Ikelite Housing for Panasonic Lumix S5II/S5IIX
Ikelite USB Charging & Data Transfer Bulkhead
Ikelite Housing for Canon EOS R8
Plan Your Adventure >