Nauticam has unveiled its new housing for the Canon EOS R6 Mark II. The original EOS R6 can also be accommodated in the housing with the addition of a conversion kit (“provided upon request”). This is despite the fact that for the EOS R6 II, Canon made the curious decision to move the power switch to the right side of the camera and add a new switch for toggling between stills and video modes in the position where the power switch used to be. As well as boasting a new, higher-resolution 24.2MP sensor, the EOS R6 II shoots 12fps bursts with the mechanical shutter (40fps with the e-shutter) and records oversampled 4K/60p video from the full sensor width.
The NA-R6II housing offers very similar features to the NA-R6: integrated handles, ergonomic control placement (right thumb levers for M-Fn and Rec with a sub-lever for AF-ON), and the ability to accept both legacy EF lenses via an adapter in addition to native RF lenses. Dual fiber-optic bulkheads offer flash triggering via an optional manual LED trigger or an optional TTL flash trigger. Like all of Nauticam’s latest mirrorless camera housings, there’s a large-bore M24 accessory port for hooking up an Atomos Ninja V monitor/recorder via HDMI 2.0 to capture 4K/60p 4:2:2 10-bit video.
Available now at retailers such as Backscatter, the NA-R6II has an MSRP of $4,042.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
THE CANON EOS R6 MARK II CAMERA
The Canon EOS R6 Mark II is one of the latest in Canon's full-frame mirrorless camera lineup which has gained unprecedented demand. It features the RF lens mount which has the same large 54mm diameter but the ability to have larger rear lens elements that are closer to the sensor gives increased corner and outer edge sharpness.
The R6 Mark II uses an all new 24MP CMOS sensor which boosts the resolution from its predecessor and also significantly improves its rolling shutter performance. It offers in-body image stabilization rated at up to 8 stops of correction. The camera's Dual Pixel CMOS AF II autofocus system uses 1053 autofocus points across the entire frame. It is also capable of recording 4K video at up to 60p internally and 6K 60p externally.
The EOS R6 Mark II can also use the large EF-mount lens lineup via the Canon RF to EOS R Adapter.
Key Camera Specifications
- 24.2MP full-frame CMOS sensor
- UHD 4K shooting up to 60p, 1080 at up to 120p
- 6K ProRes RAW recording externally up to 60p
- 100% coverage Dual Pixel II AF system
- 12 fps / 40 fps burst (mechanical / electronic shutter)
- 3.69M-dot OLED EVF
- 3" 1.62M-dot vari-angle touchscreen LCD
- Dual UHS-II SD slots
- 580 shot-per-charge battery rating
THE NAUTICAM NA-R6II UNDERWATER HOUSING FOR THE CANON EOS R6 MARK II CAMERA
The NA-R6II underwater housing follows suit with Nauticam's drive for innovation and it supports both the Canon EOS R6 and R6 Mark II. A conversion kit is required for the original R6 and will be provided upon request. Like its predecessors, the NA-R6II presents shooters with the ability to use both the available legacy EF lenses via an adapter in addition to their native RF optics. To support both the legacy and native lenses, Nauticam has integrated the NA-R6II into the N120 port system. Canon's EF to RF mount adapters can be affixed to the camera before insertion into the housing. When using the EOS R6 Mark II inside the housing with the adapter and a supported EF lens, the port and extension ring arrangement will be identical to the same setup on a Nauticam Canon N120 DSLR. With the ever growing RF lens lineup, you can also follow the dedicated N120 Canon RF port chart that is being updated and expanded with each new lens release. Please note that the Canon Control Ring and Drop-in Filter EF to EOS R adapters are not accessible within the housing.
Nauticam engineers are obsessed with getting the underwater image maker unfettered access to all the necessary controls, with as many within easy reach of the ergonomic rubberized handles. This Mission Control philosophy extends to the NA-R6II where a dual thumb lever and sub-lever are placed by the right handle. The dual thumb lever on the front right side activates the "M-Fn" and "Rec" buttons while the sub-lever on the right rear side corresponds to the "AF-ON" button. Near the left handle is a thumb lever for "Playback" for easy image review.
Large knurled and rubberized control dials access the camera's "main" and "sub" command dials. The two-stage trigger allows for smooth focus and firing activation. Additional buttons for "Menu", "Focus Point Selection" and others are also easily reached from the handles.
Flash triggering is achieved via one of two optional Flash Triggers, a manual LED trigger (PN 26305) or a TTL Flash Trigger (PN 26321 currently unavailable) that use the built-in fiber optic bulkheads with optional fiber-optic cables to trigger supported strobes. For controlling strobes that do not support fiber optic flash triggering, a variety of legacy hot-shoe flash control bulkheads are available.
INTEGRATED VACUUM CHECK AND LEAK DETECTION SYSTEM
The Nauticam vacuum check and leak detection electronics are shipped with the NA-R6II as standard equipment. Combined with an accessory M16 vacuum valve (25625) this monitoring system provides constant updates on the water tight and safe-to-dive status of the housing. A simple color coded LED lighting system lets the user know that the vacuum is solid, or that the housing is losing vacuum. Leak detection is built into the same circuit, so if there is water intrusion, an audible and visual indication will occur.
The Nauticam system is temperature compensated, eliminating false alarms caused by a change in outside temperature, or from a camera heating up on an action packed dive.
What's In The Box
- NA-R6II Housing
- 90137 Spare main O-ring, O-ring remover and lubricant
- 2x Plugs for Optical fiber cable mount
- 2x Handles with mounting balls
- Panasonic CR-2032 Battery (for moisture alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys
- Manual instruction card
- Padded housing bag and shoulder strap
- 25624 M14 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 32211 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32212 Nauticam Full Frame Straight Viewfinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- 32213 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 32°/ 1:1
- 32214 Nauticam Full Frame Angle Viewinder 40°/ 0.8:1
- *32212 and 32214 are the preferred viewfinders
- 26305 Manual Flash Trigger for Canon
- 26321 TTL Flash Trigger for Canon (currently unavailable)
- 26216 Universal Optical Fiber Cable
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25020 M14 Nikonos 5-pin bulkhead with Canon hotshoe connection
- 25017 M14 6 pin bulkhead for Canon system
- 25221 M10 strobe mounting ball for housing
- 25224 M10 strobe mounting ball for housing (with hole for using with lanyard)
- 17959 Housing Mounting ball with 1/4'' screws
- 17960 Universal Quadra-Pod Plate for Nauticam Housings
HDMI Recommended Configurations
For HDMI 2.0 Cable System
- 25086 M24 adaptor for HDMI 2.0 Cable
- 25077 M24D1R205-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable (for NA-XT3/R5 to use with Ninja V housing)
- 17922 Nauticam Atomos Ninja V Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Reorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable)
- 17922S Nauticam Atomos Ninja V-S Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Reorder/Monitor (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable) with Atomos AtomX SDI Module
For HDMI 1.4 Cable System
- 25033 Standard HDMI Cable with M16 Thread
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25076 HDMI (D-D) Cable in 200mm Length for NA-XT2/NA-XH1/NA_A6400
- 17923 NA-Shinobi-H Housing for Atomos Shinobi 5.2" 4K HDMI Monitor with HDMI 1.4 input
- 17925 NA-503-H Housing for SmallHD 503 UltraBright On-Camera Monitor
Dimensions: 320mm x 175mm x 160mm (W x H x D)
Depth Rating: 100m
Weight in Air: TBD
Weight in Water: TBD
Port Mount: N120
Compatible Cameras: Canon EOS R6II/R6*
*A conversion kit is required for use with the original Canon ROS R6
Model Number: 17339
USA Retail Price: $4,042
More information is available from Nauticam at: www.nauticam.com
Ikelite Housing for Sony ZV-E10
Nauticam M16 USB-C Bulkhead
Canon RF 10–20mm f/4 L IS STM
OM System TG-7
Plan Your Adventure >