Last month, Canon teased videographers with the headline feature of its upcoming EOS R5: 8K internal video recording at up to 30fps using the sensor’s full width. That in itself was big news: 8K DCI is 8192 × 4320 pixels, and if the full width of the sensor is used for recording, the R5’s 3:2 sensor is 8192 × 5461 pixels, or just shy of 45 megapixels. Now, in a significantly more spec-rich press release, Canon has revealed the full video capabilities of the full-frame mirrorless camera.
Canon says 8K/30p video can be captured in both RAW and 10-bit 4:2:2 H.265. With the latter, you can shoot in Canon Log if you want to color grade your footage or in HDR PQ if you plan to output directly to an HDR display. In terms of 4K, the R5 also uses data from the full width of the sensor and can record 10-bit 4:2:2 H.265 (C-Log or HDR PQ)—internally—at up to a staggering 120fps. Impressively, Dual Pixel CMOS AF is available in all 4K and 8K modes, according to Canon.
The only thorny questions that Canon’s press release don’t answer are what data rates are on offer and how long you can record for, which is sometimes restricted to prevent overheating. Looks like we’ll have to wait till the official announcement before we find that out…
THE EXCITEMENT BUILDS: CANON ANNOUNCES ADDITIONAL IN-DEMAND SPECIFICATIONS OF THE EOS R5 FULL-FRAME MIRRORLESS CAMERA
MELVILLE, N.Y., April 20, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today is sharing additional specifications of the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera currently in development. The newly released information divulges further details on the 8K video recording capability, IBIS and more.
Newly Announced Details of The Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera include:
- 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps.
- 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
- 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
- No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
- Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
- A Canon first, the EOS R5 will feature 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilization, which works in conjunction with Optical IS equipped with many of the RF and EF lenses.
- Dual-card slots: 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II.
To learn more about the Canon EOS R5 Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera and the additional information announced, please visit, usa.canon.com/EOSR5
*When in 8K RAW, 8K/4K DCI modes.
Ikelite Housing for Sony ZV-E10
Nauticam M16 USB-C Bulkhead
Canon RF 10–20mm f/4 L IS STM
OM System TG-7
Plan Your Adventure >