When it was launched in July 2019, the Sigma fp became the world’s smallest camera with a full-frame sensor. Now, with firmware version 2.0, it has become the world’s smallest camera to record ProRes RAW—when hooked up via HDMI to an Atomos Ninja V monitor/recorder (running the latest firmware). You can record Apple ProRes RAW at up to DCI 4K/24p or UHD 4K/30p directly from the Sigma fp’s full-frame sensor. It’s also possible to record RAW 1080/120p video—a first for a mirrorless camera.
Additionally, the update makes it possible to record Blackmagic RAW over HDMI with a Blackmagic Video Assist 12G HDR monitor. Sigma doesn’t specify the resolutions or frame rates that are possible, but the company does stress that the monitor will, like the Atomos Ninja V, require a firmware update first.
The new Sigma firmware brings a number of other improvements and features, including cinemagraph creation and playblack, playback of CinemaDNG footage, still capture during live view and video recording, still capture from recorded footage, and “HDR in movie shooting,” without any specifics. Users can also look forward to better autofocus performance, better exposure metering accuracy, and support for multiple CinemaDNG capture modes.
Download firmware version 2.0 from the Sigma fp support page, here.
SIGMA Releases Major Update for SIGMA fp: Firmware Ver. 2.00
Expanded functionality for SIGMA’s full-frame mirrorless digital camera includes cinemagraph creation and playback, CinemaDNG footage playback, improved autofocus and more
Ronkonkoma, NY - June 25, 2020 - Sigma Corporation of America, a leading camera, photography lens, cine lens, flash and accessories manufacturer, today announced that SIGMA fp firmware ver. 2.00, the first major update that widely expands the functionality of the camera, is now available to SIGMA fp users on the SIGMA Global Site. Download SIGMA fp Version 2.0 here.
New Functions and Capabilities in SIGMA fp Firmware Ver. 2.00:
- Cinemagraph creation and playback
- CinemaDNG footage playback
- Still capture during live view and movie shooting in Cine mode
- Still image capture from movie files (CinemaDNG, MOV) shot with the SIGMA fp
- HDR in movie shooting
- Still and movie shooting in Director's Viewfinder mode
- Supports DCI 4K 12bit / HDMI Raw output
- Supports RAW over HDMI recording with Atomos Ninja V monitor-recorder*
*A free AtomOS firmware update for Ninja V is required
- Supports recording Blackmagic RAW codec over HDMI with Blackmagic Video Assist 12G models*
*Requires firmware update of Video Assist 12G models using Video Assist Update 3.3.
- Camera movement control is compatible with ZHIYUN Weebill S gimbal*
*Firmware update of the corresponding device is required. Please refer to ZHIYUN firmware release information about functions supported. Since not all functions will be supported in this firmware update, both SIGMA and ZHIYUN will need to continue working on this to make more and more functions to be compatible in future firmware updates
- Instruction message explaining error appears when attempting to use greyed-out items in SHOOT menu
- Supports camera control in USB mode*
*The SDK (Software Development Kit) for controlling the camera is scheduled to be available by early July
Function Updates and Enhancements In fp Ver. 2.00:
- Supports Dual Base ISO (ISO100 and 3200)
- Improved AF performance
- Improved accuracy with evaluative exposure metering
- Improved image quality
- Supports CinemaDNG 25 and 29.97 fps (UHD 12bit) shooting
- Supports CinemaDNG 100 fps (FHD 12bit) shooting
- Supports CinemaDNG 100 and 119.88 fps (FHD 8bit and 10bit) shooting
- “OFF” option now available in Color mode
- Exposure adjustment now available in QS (Quick Set) Menu
- Tone control setting now available during movie shooting
- Supports USB Video Class (UVC) setting adjustments while the fp is connected to USB
- Supports time code generation
- Compatible with BWF format
- Supports file size changes at aspect ratio 7:6
- Optional shutter sound effect
Bug Corrections in fp Ver. 2.00:
- Flickering phenomenon in dark video footage has been corrected
For more information on the SIGMA fp, please visit https://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-fp.
Achtel Vaquita underwater housing for Sigma fp
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >