Sea&Sea has unveiled its new housing for the EOS R5, Canon’s new 8K-video-capable full-frame mirrorless camera. In addition to 8K/30p, the videocentric R5 can shoot up to 4K/120p using the full sensor width and capture 10-bit 4:2:2 footage internally.
Compatible with both native RF lenses and legacy EF lenses, Sea&Sea’s machined aluminum housing boasts the company’s well-known ergonomic design, with all important controls arranged around the integrated handles (with inserts for improved grip); a built-in leak sensor as well as a bulkhead that accepts the Vivid Leak Sentinel V4 (or other vacuum sensors); and a large bore 24mm HDMI 2.0 bulkhead for connecting an external monitor/recorder.
The MDX-R5 offers manual strobe triggering via sync cords, optical triggering via an optional Manual Flash Trigger, and fiber-optic connectivity with compatible Sea&Sea strobes in both TTL and manual modes when fitting the optional Optical Converter.
Pricing and availability are not available at this time, but you can preorder the housing from Backscatter.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
Sea&Sea MDX-R5 Underwater Housing for Canon EOS R5
Revised ergonomic design, improved safety features and eye-catching exterior. The new MDX series housings are now upgraded with more standard features to ensure better handling and greater protection for your camera
Equipped with Grip plus, SA8 Fixed Ball Bases
The new MDX-R5 is the perfect complement to Canon’s new mirrorless R5 camera. The MDX-R5 is rich in features with all controls ergonomically designed to maximize camera operation. All major camera functions can be accessed from the grip handles through thumb or finger movement without releasing your grip.
Sea&Sea Optical Converter and S&S manual flash trigger compatibility, port locking system plus removal and attaching of lenses while camera is still in housing. Compatible with both native RF lenses and all EF lenses (with mount). In addition, a 24mm port has been included to accommodate HDMI 2 cables for connection to an external video monitor to realize the full potential of the cameras ultra-high video capabilities. A built-in Leak Sensor and a bulkhead for external vacuum sensor provides double protection and increased peace of mind for your camera equipment while diving.
Many more features are available on the MDX-R5 to help you gain full potential of all the R5’s features and make your underwater imaging experience unforgettable.
For better noticeability, controls are partially colored with yellow
All major controls for camera function can be easily operated without releasing your grip on the handle, providing stability and assurance during all imaging situations
Compatible with the Sea&Sea “Manual Flash Trigger” (optional) and Sea&Sea Optical TTL Converter
24mm bulkhead allows connection of 3rd party HDMI 2 cable for attaching an external video monitor
Bulkhead will accept the S&S Vivid housing Vacuum Leak Sensor, or an optional 16mm step down converter is available to fit third party vacuum sensors
Compatible with all the DX (NX) series ports
The camera can be removed from the housing easily even if a lens with large diameter such as the RF15~35 f2.8 is mounted on the camera without removing port from the housing enabling you to replace battery and lens with ease.
MDX-R5 OTHER FEATURES
- The Port lock prevents the port from turning or loosening and the Port Lock lever is specifically located to avoid being unlocked accidentally.
- The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which makes it possible to change lenses easily, without opening the housing.
- Pulling out the Focus/Zoom Dial gives sufficient room inside the housing to easily accommodate larger diameter lenses.
- All controls have luminescense stickers which glow in a dark enbironment for better visibility of controls.
- Equipped with Optical Viewfinder 0.5x as standard. Other optional viewfinders such as the VF180 1.2x, VF45 1.2x and Optical Viewfinder 0.66x ,0.8x can be used.
*Some vignetting may occur when the VF180 1.2x is mounted on housing, the upper part of the camera's viewfinder cannot be viewed dus to vignetting.
- Sync Cord 2-pin Connector enables use of conventional hardwired Sync cable (Manual mode only).
- Equipped with two sacrificial zinc diodes (one on the fornt case and the other on the rear) to prevent electrolysis damage.
- Built-in leak sensor immediately alerts alerts you to water ingress.
- Tripod screw mount is located on the center underside of the housing.
- Equipped with an under guard to protect housing from scratches and abrasion.
Black / housing only #06198
|345 x 173 x 164 mm / 13.5 x 6.8 x 6.4 Inches|
|Approx. 2,900g / 102.3oz (Including Grips)|
|100m / 330ft|
|Corrosion resistant aluminum alloy (machined. Anodized finish)|
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >