Sea&Sea has announced an updated version of its mid-level YS-01 strobe. Unlike the recently announced entry-level YS-03 Solis, which only offers TTL flash exposure, the YS-01 Solis gives photographers manual control of the strobe’s output—in 10 increments.
The new strobe uses Sea&Sea’s DS-TTL II system, which is the same circuitry found in the high-end YS-D2J. This system gives users the advantages of TTL automatic exposure but with the ability to tweak the light level control to fine-tune output.
Sea&Sea has also improved the strobe’s target light. As well as the power being 40% stronger, the target light axis has been modified to better reflect the flash coverage. Other features are similar to the YS-03 Solis: guide number of 20, beam angle of 100° by 100°, recycle time of 1.9s (using Ni-MH batteries), and depth rating of 250 feet (75 meters).
The YS-01 Solis costs $450 and is available from Backscatter. The original YS-01 has been discontinued.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
Equipped with the same DS-TTL II circuitry as superior Sea&sea’s high-end models
The DS-TTL II circuitry helps emit the correct amount of light automatically based upon light intensity from the camera’s onboard flash. The strobe allows you to adjust light intensity stronger or weaker from programed standard exposure. With this function, even an inexperienced underwater photographer can instinctively control the desired amount of light. Example: If you are using two YS-01 Solis strobes, one on the right and the other on the left, and there is white soft coral to the right of your photographic subject, you can just delicately lessen light intensity from the strobe on the right alone by just turning the light level control to minus. With the improved circuitry, you can realize desired lighting for all your underwater images in a breeze.
DS-TTL II correct to plus 4 steps
Increased light intensity from the target light
Compared with the predecessor model, lighting intensity of the YS-01 Solis’ target light is 40% stronger increasing the visibility of the light axis has improved helps you understand position of the strobe position more accurately.
YS-01 Solis target light demonstration video
Superior light distribution and wide beam angle
Because of exclusively designed prism lens, the YS-01 Solis realizes a wide beam angle of 100° x 100° with ideal flat light distribution even when the accessory diffuser is not attached. With the diffuser, light will soften and beam angle will increase to 110° x 110°.
Ideal flat and circular light distribution. One top light. TG5 + WCL06x
- [Guide Number (ISO 100/m) (land)] 20
- [Beam Angle] 100°x 100° (with diffuser 110° x 110°)
- [Batteries] 4xAA A: 6V Ni-MH: 4.8V
- [Number of Flashes] A: 230 Ni-MH: 300
- [Recycle time (full)] A: 2.5 sec. Ni-MH: 1.9 sec.
- [Color temperature] 5600K
- [Color temperature w/diffuser] 5250K
- [Depth rating] 75m / 250ft
- [Dimensions (WxHxD)] 75x111x129mm/4x4.4x5.1inches
- [Weight] 441g/14.7oz (w/o batteries) * Attached a fixing bolt to the strobe
- [Underwater weight] Approx. +60g/0.35oz (w/ batteries)
- Exposure control: DS-TTL II +4 steps –5 steps
- Light level control dial (GN): 1/1.4/2/2.8/4/5.6/8/11/16/20 (10 steps)
- Pre-flash control: Equipped with pre-flash cancel mode
- DS-TTL II function
- Auto power OFF function
- Sync cord: Fiber-Optic Cable
- Over-pressure relief valve
- LED target light
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >