Sea&Sea has announced its new housing for the Sony a7 III, which is also compatible with the a7R III. The housing shares many of the features found in the company’s recently released housing for the Nikon D850, the main DSLR rival to Sony’s Alpha 7 full-frame mirrorless series.
The machined aluminum housing takes full advantage of the small and lightweight body of the Sony camera by adding what Sea&Sea calls a “Buoyancy Pocket” into the housing—an extra space of roughly 4" by 2.5" by 1" that can accommodate an accessory such as a mobile charger to provide extra power to a camera known for its unimpressive battery life.
The housing is compatible with the Optical YS Converter S1, which converts the camera’s hot-shoe signal for use with Sea&Sea strobes in both TTL and manual modes.
The housing is now available from Backscatter at a base price of $3,495. 45-degree and 180-degree viewfinders are available for $1,000 each, while the Optical YS Converter costs an additional $500.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
Sea&Sea MDX-α7III Underwater Housing for Sony α7III/α7RIII
TTL shooting capability plus mobile Buoyancy Pocket for accessories such as Battery Chargers. Comfortably manipulate the next generation mirrorless camera and make the ultimate underwater image yours. Housing for the Sony mirrorless α7III / α7RIII
Housing designed for ease of use and weight underwater
Compatible with all the DX (NX) ports series. Larger diameter lenses can be easily removed through the increased housing port diameter to enable battery exchange in camera body without removing lens.
Sea&Sea engineers have designed a unique Buoyancy Pocket*, which can also accommodate accessories such as a mobile battery charger**, without compromising the overall size of the housing. The availability of an optional battery charger has addressed battery life of the camera and allows shooting for extended periods without concern of camera power loss.
The internal space also contributes to the reduction of the weight underwater. Combined with the lightweight camera body, we realized a phenomenal underwater weight of 700 grams***, eliminating the necessity to attach large floats.
**Please note any and all restrictions by camera manufacturer when using 3rd party accessories. Please use these products at your own discretion.
***Housing configured with DX macro 87 Port and SL90M28G lens.
MDX-α7III OTHER FEATURES
- The Port Lock prevents the port from turning or loosening and the Port Lock lever is specifically located to avoid being unlocked accidentally. The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which makes it possible to change lenses easily, without opening the housing.
- Pulling out the Focus/Zoom Dial gives sufficient room inside the housing to easily accommodate larger diameter lenses.
- The camera’s diopter adjustment dial can be operated from outside the housing. This feature is useful when two or more people with different eyesight use the housing.
- All controls have luminescence stickers which glow in dark environment.
- Equipped with the Optical Viewfinder 0.5x as standard. Other optional viewfinders such as the VF180 1.2x, VF45 1.2x and Optical Viewfinder 0.66x, 0.8x can be used. *Some vignetting occurs. When the VF180 1.2x is mounted on housing, the uper part of the camera's viewfinder cannot be viewed due to vignetting.
- Sync Cord 2-pin Connector enables use of conventional hardwired Sync cable (Manual mode only).
- Equipped with two sacrificial zinc diodes (one on the front case and the other on the rear) to prevent electrolysis damage.
- Built-in leak sensor immediately alerts you to water ingress.
- Tripod screw mount is located on the centre underside of the housing.
- Equipped with under guard to protect from scratches.
|[Construction]||Body: corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (machined)|
|Grip: corrosion-resistant die-cast aluminum alloy|
|[Depth rating]||100m / 330ft|
|[Dimensions (WxHxD)]||328 x 188 x 131 mm / 12.9 x 7.4 x 5.2 inches|
|[Weight]||Approx. 2,700g / 95oz (Housing only)|
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >