Sea&Sea has announced its new housing for the Nikon D850, which was shown off for the first time at the recent DEMA Show in Orlando. A new more-compact design has allowed the company to make the MDX-D850 about one-tenth lighter than the housing for the D810.
As usual for Sea&Sea, the machined aluminum housing features integrated handles, and controls are designed to be accessible when both hands are on the grips—with the most frequently used controls on the right-hand side. Users have the option of fitting the Optical YS Converter/N1, which converts the camera’s hot-shoe signal for use with optical strobes in TTL and manual modes. It’s also possible to add a Nikonos bulkhead for electrical connections.
At DEMA, Sea&Sea suggested that the housing would ship by the end of the year, but pricing has yet to be confirmed.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
Sea&Sea MDX-D850 Underwater Housing for Nikon D850
Its superior ergonomic design and standout range of optional accessories help you capture those optimal moments with the best image quality. The housing for Nikon D850.
Optical YS Converter/N1 can be built into the housing. Compatible with Optical YS Converter/N1 for MDX housing which converts the camera’s hot-shoe TTL signal to a light signal. Both TTL and manual strobe modes can be used and controlled from the housing using a Fiber-Optic Cable II.
* Fiber-Optic Cable ll is required when using the Optical YS Converter.
- The Port Lock prevents the port from turning or loosening and the Port Lock lever is specifically located to avoid being unlocked accidentally.
- The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which makes it possible to change lenses easily, without opening the housing.
- The camera’s diopter adjustment dial can be operated from outside the housing. This feature is useful when two or more people with different eyesight use the housing.
- Pulling out the Focus/Zoom Dial gives sufficient room inside the housing to easily accommodate larger diameter lenses.
- All controls have luminescence stickers which glow in dark environment.
- Equipped with the Optical Viewfinder 0.5x as standard. Other optional viewfinders such as the VF180 1.2x, VF45 1.2x and Optical Viewfinder 0.8x can be used.
- Sync Cord 2-pin Connector enables use of conventional hardwired Sync cable (Manual mode only).
- Accessory port enables use of Leak Sentinel (vacuum sensor).
- Equipped with two sacrificial zinc diodes (one on the front case and the other on the rear) to prevent electrolysis damage.
- Built-in leak sensor immediately alerts you to water ingress.
- Tripod screw mount is located on the centre underside of the housing.
|[Construction]||Body: corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (machined)|
|Grip: corrosion-resistant die-cast aluminum alloy|
|[Depth rating]||100m / 330ft|
|[Dimensions (WxHxD)]||346 x 202 x 140 mm / 13.6 x 8.0 x 5.5 inches|
|[Weight]||Approx. 2,850g / 101oz (Housing only)|
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >