Sea & Sea has officially announced their housing for Canon’s new 5D Mark IV, unveiled at DEMA. Depth-rated to 330 feet, the MDX-5D Mark IV is constructed from corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy with built-in grips of the same material, and like its predecessor for the Mark III, is designed to place important controls at the user’s fingertips, including the all-important ISO. The housing can also accommodate the 5D Mark III, 5DS and 5DS R.
Special attention has been paid to the shutter release: Both the tension on the shutter release lever and the distance to half-depress it can be adjusted. Lenses can be changed easily via the housing’s lens-lock release button, which avoids having to open the housing. The MDX-5D Mark IV also features a built-in leak sensor as standard.
The housing will be shipping soon for $3,899.95.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
U/W Housing for Canon EOS 5D Mark IV / EOS 5D Mark III
Housing satisfies even professional needs with its superior ergonomic design and ruggedness
MDX-5D Mark lV housing (black) (housing only) (Product No.06181)
The MDX-5D Mark lll and the MDX-5D Mark lll ver. 2 housings can be converted to accommodate both the EOS 5D Mark lV and the EOS 5D Mark lll (fees apply).
- Important controls can be operated whilst holding the grips. Frequently-used buttons such as ISO, AF Point Selection and Multi-function Selection buttons are operated by external levers, allowing quick and accurate operation.
AF Start button is locked by pressing and turning the control.
AF Start Lever will remain pressed by pushing the lever forward.
- The main command dial, the quick control dial and others have a damper (spring) to provide secure operation. (Controls on the camera will not slip because of the damper).
- The tension on the Shutter Release lever can be adjusted in 3 steps
The tension on the Shutter Release lever can be adjusted in 3 steps, by changing the location of the spring inside the housing. The distance to half-depress the shutter release can be adjusted in 2 steps, by changing the location of the plastic piece behind the shutter lever, inside the housing.
- Compatible with Optical YS Converter/C.
Equipped with two fiber-optic cable sockets for optional Optical YS Converter/C.
*Manual option only at launch. New firmware being developing for Canon EOS 5D Mk lV
- The Port Lock prevents the port from turning or loosening and the Port Lock lever is specifically located to avoid being unlocked accidentally.
- The housing is equipped with a lens-lock release button which makes it possible to change lenses easily, without opening the housing.
- The camera’s diopter adjustment dial can be operated from outside the housing. This feature is useful when two or more people with different eyesight use the housing.
- Pulling out the Focus/Zoom Dial gives sufficient room inside the housing to easily accommodate larger diameter lenses.
- All controls have luminescence stickers which glow in dark environment.
- Equipped with the Optical Viewfinder 0.5x as standard. Other optional viewfinders such as the VF180 1.2x, VF45 1.2x and Optical Viewfinder 0.8x can be used.
- Sync Cord 2-pin Connector enables use of conventional hardwired Sync cable (Manual mode only).
- Accessory port enables use of Leak Sentinel (vacuum sensor).
- Equipped with two sacrificial zinc diodes (one on the front case and the other on the rear) to prevent electrolysis damage.
- Built-in leak sensor immediately alerts you to water ingress.
- Tripod screw mount is located on the centre underside of the housing.
MDX-5D Mark IV Housing
Construction: Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (machined, anodized finish)
Grip: Corrosion-resistant die-cast aluminum alloy
Depth Rating: 100m/330ft
Dimensions (WxHxD): 341 x 198 x 141mm /13.4 x 7.8 x 5.5 inches
Weight (Approx.): 3,000g/106oz (Housing only)
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >