Ricoh has unveiled a new rugged compact camera, the WG-50. Built around a 16-megapixel BSI-CMOS sensor and a 28–140mm (full-frame equivalent) f/3.5–5.5 lens, the WG-50 can record Full HD video at 30fps. It boasts underwater modes for both stills and video that adjust white balance and contrast.
The WG-50 also features an array of six LEDs around the lens that are designed to provide even illumination of subjects when using the Digital Microscope mode. However, in this mode the image size is fixed at two megapixels and at an 16:9 aspect ratio. Another limitation to keep in mind is the camera’s depth rating: It’s waterproof down to 45 feet, but only for up to two hours of operation.
The WG-50 ships in June for $279 in the US.
RICOH COMPANY, LTD and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. announced the launch of the RICOH WG-50 digital compact camera.
This new model features a compact, lightweight body design, delivering exceptional waterproof and shockproof performance.
Developed as a standard-class waterproof digital compact camera, the RICOH WG-50 provides dependable performance and outstanding operability in demanding outdoor conditions. The WG-50 is waterproof to a depth of 14 metres, shockproof against falls from a height of 1.6 metres, and freeze-proof to temperatures as low as -10°C. It also provides a range of features to facilitate all types of still-image and movie shooting, including approximately 16.0 effective megapixels and Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) movie recording capability. It also comes equipped with an outdoor friendly LCD screen on the brightness can be instantly adjusted to the lighting levels in a particular shooting situation.
The RICOH WG-50 features a range of optional camera-mounting accessories allowing the user to fix the camera securely on a bicycle or watercraft. Using the camera’s creative shooting functions, such as interval shooting and Full HD movie recording, the user can capture unique images seen from a very different angle or viewpoint.
Availability: End June 2017
Colours: Orange or Black
1. Heavy-duty construction allowing underwater shooting down to 14 metres, for up to two hours of continuous operation (equivalent to IPX 8 or JIS Class 8). The RICOH WG-50 is also shockproof against falls from a height of 1.6 metres,* dustproof (equivalent to IPX 6 or JIS Class 6), freeze-proof to temperatures as low as -10°C, and crushproof against weights up to 100kgf (kilogram force). ** Thanks to this heavy-duty construction, the camera performs superbly and dependably even in difficult and demanding outdoor conditions.
* Measured under RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards — from a height of 1.6 metres, onto a surface of 5cm-thick plywood — conforming to Method 516.5-Shock of the MIL-Standard 810F
** Measured under RICOH IMAGING-original testing standards
2. Exceptional image quality
The WG-50 comes equipped with a back illuminated CMOS image sensor, which delivers excellent high-sensitivity and low-noise characteristics and high-speed readout of image data signals. Coupled with a high-performance imaging engine, this image sensor delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 and super-high-resolution images with approximately 16.0 effective megapixels. This model also provides advanced image processing functions, made possible by the latest super-resolution technology, to assure sharp, clear, high-resolution images. It also offers such innovative features as Hand-held Night Snap mode, which automatically captures several images of the same night-time scene from which it produces a single, blur-free composite image. Some advanced features have also been added to this model to facilitate and upgrade scenic photography. For example, white-balance optimisation in the Landscape shooting mode reproduces brilliant greens of trees.
3. 5X optical zoom lens with a 28mm wide-angle coverage
The WG-50 features a high-performance, five-times optical zoom lens with a focal-length coverage from 5mm to 25mm (equivalent to approx. 28mm to 140mm in the 35mm format) to accommodate a wide range of scenes and subjects, including sweeping landscapes. It also provides other convenient shooting functions, such as a macro mode to capture dramatic close-up images from a minimum focusing distance of a mere one centimetre; an Intelligent Zoom function to extend the zoom range to approximately 36 times (equivalent to 1008mm in the 35mm format) without compromising image quality and ideal for superior telephoto photography; and an interval shooting mode, which comes in handy for fixed-point observation.
4. Underwater shooting mode
Specifically designed for underwater photography, the Underwater and Underwater Movie shooting modes are programmed to optimise colour and contrast, based on the data of images actually captured under the water. These modes deliver sharp, true-to-life images by enhancing shades of red which are lost in underwater photography, while effectively compensating for the loss of contrast caused by the diffusion of light in water. During Underwater mode, the Flash Off + Flash On option, allows the user to consecutively capture two images — with a single shutter release — one without flash and another with flash.
5. Six Macro Lights to assist close-up shooting, and a Self-Portrait Assist mode
Ideally positioned around the circumference of the lens barrel for macro shooting, six LED Macro Lights allow the WG-50 to provide bright, uniform illumination on a subject when the Digital Microscope mode is selected.*** Using these Macro Lights, the user can clearly see a magnified view of the microscopic world on the camera’s LCD screen, normally undetectable by the naked eye, to effortlessly capture eye-catching, close-up images. In order to minimize camera shake and subject shake, the Instant Illumination Enhance function allows for the use of a higher shutter speed by automatically raising the discharge level of the Macro Lights at the moment of shutter release. The Macro Lights also provide other useful functions, such as a Self-Portrait Assist mode, which uses the blink of an LED lamp to check if the subject’s face has been safely captured within the picture frame, and the LED Lighting mode, which uses the Macro Lights as a lighting device in the dark.
*** When this mode is selected, the image size is fixed at 2.0 megapixels (at 16:9 proportions).
6. Full HD movie recording for extended shooting of high-quality movies
The WG-50 provides Full HD movie recording employing the H.264 recording format. Users can capture high-quality, extended movie clips (1920 x 1080 pixels, 16:9 proportions) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second. To add some creative touches to movie recording, it also features a high-speed camera function**** for slow-motion playback of captured movie clips, and an interval movie function. A micro-HDMI terminal (Type D) is also provided on the camera body for simultaneous output of Full HD movie clips and sound to external audio-visual devices.
**** When this function is selected, the recorded size is fixed at 1280 x 720 pixels.
7. Triple anti-shake protection to prevent blurred images in all applications
(1) Pixel Track SR mechanism
When recording still images, this advanced shake-reduction mechanism effectively compensates for camera shake by digitally processing affected images.
(2) Digital SR mode
When the camera detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, this mode automatically raises the sensitivity up to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed and effectively minimise the adverse effect of camera shake and subject shake when dealing with poor lighting conditions.
(3) Movie SR mode
During movie recording, this mode effectively compensates for the misalignment of images caused by camera shake through the use of exclusive software to produce beautiful, blur-free movie clips.
8. 2.7 inch LCD screen with Outdoor View Setting mode
The WG-50 comes equipped 2.7 inch LCD screen with horizontally extended 16:9 proportions and approximately 230,000 dots. The screen’s AR (Anti-Reflection) coating minimises annoying glare and reflections to deliver a sharp, clear on-screen image even in sunshine during outdoor shooting. It also comes equipped with such convenient features as the Outdoor View Setting mode, which easily sets the optimal screen brightness level for a given lighting situation.
9. Other features
- A range of WG-series mount accessories (optional) for a range of shooting situations
- Two remote control receptors (one in front and another in the back) to widen signal coverage
- Macro stand (included) to maintain a minimum focusing distance of one centimetre to the subject during extended observation and shooting of macro images
- High-speed Face Detection function to capture as many as 32 faces in focus in approximately 0.03 seconds (minimum); Smile Capture function to automatically release the shutter when the subject’s smile is detected
- Outdoor friendly Style Watch function to display the time on the LCD monitor, using an extended push of the OK button when the camera’s power is turned off
- Delay-free, push-button start of the playback mode, using an extended push of the playback button
- Auto Picture mode to automatically select the most appropriate shooting mode from 16 different scene modes
- A choice of 12 digital filters
- Pet detection function to automatically detect the face of a cat or dog
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >