The newest generation of the PENTAX adventure series Optio line is made for the rugged adventurer, and truly seems like the camera lives up to this lofty claim. Waterproof up to 40 feet, dustproof, coldproof, crushproof, and shock-resistant, these cameras are made for outdoor activities. Although a depth of 40 feet is not deep enough for diving, it's still a suitable camera for snorkeling or for time spent at the beach or on a boat.
PENTAX’s John Carlson, Sr. Manager of Sales and Marketing, says, “these dependable, heavy-duty cameras can withstand virtually any environmental challenge while maintaining the same resiliency and work ethic as those who use it.”
Other new features for this new generation include a backlit 16 MP sensor and six LED lights that Pentax says will greatly enhance your macro photography (we'll believe when we see it!). With enhanced image quality, the WG-2 and WG-2 GPS will also perform well in outdoor and indoor low-light settings.
Other upgraded features include:
- High-resolution Full HD 1080p movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) at 30 FPS with high quality h.264 compression.
- Waterproof to depths of 40 feet.
- Digital Microscope mode with one additional macro LED (total of six lights) for excellent macro lighting of subjects as close as 1 cm.
- A newly designed GPS module that delivers a shorter time lag before GPS start-up and longer battery life during GPS activation.
- A new optional SportMount Chest Harness that straps-on the WG-2 for hands-free HD movie capture of every exciting moment of adventure on land, sea or in the air.
Additional features include:
- Shockproof design protects camera that are dropped from a distance of up to 5 feet.
- Crushproof construction withstands weights up to 220 lbf (pound-force).
- Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
- Dustproof design protects the camera from dry, dusty environments.
- Wide angle 5x internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
- Large 3-inch LCD features HVGA resolution (460,000 dots) and anti-reflective coating on its protective cover.
- Hardened cover with SP coating protects internal lens elements.
- An HDMI port (Micro, Type-D) plays back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
- Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images and video.
- Fast Face Detection technology including Smile Capture and Blink Detection to capture perfect portraits.
- A Handheld Night Snap mode produces a single blur-free, composite image from four images of the same scene.
- An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus.
- Extended dynamic range helps bring out extra highlight and shadow detail.
- PENTAX infrared remote control compatibility for remote shooting.
- GPS and non-GPS versions are available in several new stylish color options.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the product mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner -- Backscatter.com.
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Canon G7 X
Ikelite Housing for D750
Sealife Micro HD +