DPG is a comprehensive underwater photography website and community for underwater photographers. Learn underwater photography techniques for popular digital cameras and specialized professional underwater equipment (wide angle, macro, super macro, lighting and work flow). Read latest news, explore travel destinations for underwater photography. Galleries of professional and amateur underwater photography including wrecks, coral reefs, undersea creatures, fashion and surfing photography.
Dive Photo Guide


Palau to Create Huge Marine Reserve
By Ian Seldrup, October 22, 2015 @ 10:30 PM (EST)
Source: National Geographic

Palau’s famed Jellyfish Lake

The tiny Pacific island country of Palau is going ahead with plans to create a vast marine reserve. At some 193,000 square miles (500,000 square kilometers) in size, it will be one of the world’s top five biggest marine protected areas.

The news comes after Palau’s Congress approved a move to protect 80 percent of its territorial waters from activities such as fishing and mining. Local fishermen and a few small commercial operations will be allowed to operate in the remaining 20 percent. The legislation could come into law early next week when President Tommy Remengesau Jr. signs off on the plan. The President said in a statement: “Creating this sanctuary is a bold move that the people of Palau recognize as essential to our survival.”

The new protections are, of course, great news for the marine habitats and inhabitants of Palau, which is home to more than 1,300 species of fish and around 700 species of hard and soft corals—not to mention the famous residents of Jellyfish Lake.

Read more here.



Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
SeaLife DC2000
Be the first to add a comment to this article.
You must be logged in to comment.
Support Our Sponsors
Travel with us

Featured Photographer

Follow Us