Nauticam has unveiled its new housing for the Sony a7R Mark IV. The fourth iteration of the high-resolution model in the Alpha 7 line ups the ante with a new 61MP BSI-CMOS sensor and an ultra-high-res 5.76M-dot EVF. Despite the astonishing resolution, it still offers 10fps burst shooting with continuous autofocus.
Nauticam’s housing accommodates the deeper grip and relocated controls of the new model, with levers, buttons and dials ergonomically positioned around the integrated handles. Compared to the predecessor housing for the Mark III, there’s now a larger-bore M24 accessory port for hooking up a monitor/recorder such as the Atomos Ninja V (in Nauticam’s dedicated housing), more precise control over zoom/focus, and two additional accessory ports (M14, M16). The LCD window features a new O-ring design and the handle brackets have been redesigned to provide even more stability.
Shipping now, Nauticam’s housing for the Sony a7R IV costs $3,050 and is available for purchase from Backscatter.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
NA-A7RIV Housing for Sony a7R IV Camera
Sony continues to improve the a7 line of capable full-frame cameras, characterized by impressive stills and video performance. This fourth edition of the a7R sees the inclusion of an updated 61MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and enhanced BIONZ X image processor.
Sony Alpha a7R IV
The Sony a7R IV is the company's fourth generation, high-resolution full-frame mirrorless camera. The 61.0-megapixel full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor combined with BIONZ X imaging engine delivers unprecedented resolution, fine gradation, and low noise. Relative to previous generations, it promises more robust build quality, refined controls, the company's latest autofocus.
Despite its high resolution, it can shoot at up to 10 frames per second with full autofocus and shoot 4K video either from the full width of its sensor or from a Super 35 crop. It also gains a 16-shot high-resolution mode that can be used to generate 240MP images of static scenes.
Sony Alpha a7R IV Key Specifications
- 61MP BSI CMOS full-frame sensor
- Powerful yet easy-to-use AF tracking system
- 10 fps burst shooting (12-bit Raw mode)
- 5.76M dot OLED viewfinder
- 4K video from full sensor width (sub-sampled) or oversampled from Super35 crop
- S-Log 2, S-Log 3 and 'HLG' video modes (8-bit only)
The Nauticam NA-A7RIV Underwater Housing
The NA-A7RIV underwater housing provides fingertip access to all key camera controls in a rugged and reliable aluminum underwater housing. Ergonomic camera control access is one of the defining strengths of a Nauticam housing, and the NA-7RIV continues this tradition. Essential camera parameter changes are made from the handles, without awkward reaches.
The NA-A7RIV housing inherits the core design elements from the Nauticam pro DSLR range, and bundles them in a more compact package. A patented port locking lever allows lens changes to be made in seconds. Opening the housing for quick battery and media changes is fast and easy with the locking housing latches. All aspects of the system are a seamless extension of the camera.
New features of the NA-A7RIV include a M24 accessory port for HDMI 2.0 output connection, two more accessory ports on the rear housing: M14 x1, M16 x1 and increased zoom/focus gear ratio on the housing, which means faster and more precision control of the lens for video. There is also a new N100 to N120 35.5mm port adaptor II, (37305) featuring a gear box, for faster zoom and more focus control. NOTE: (37303) N100 to N120 35.5mm Adapter is NOT COMPATIBLE with the NA-A7IV.
New features of the NA-A7IV
- Increased zoom/focus gear ratio on the housing, which means faster and more precision control on the lens for video
- New handle bracket design to enhance the stability of handle control underwater
- New sealing O-ring design for LCD window
- M24 accessory port for HDMI 2.0 output connection
- Two more accessory ports on the rear housing: M14 x1, M16 x1
- 25624 M14 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 25625 M16 Vacuum Valve II (Pushbutton Release)
- 32201 Nauticam 180˚ straight viewfinder
- 32203 Nauticam 45˚ viewfinder
- 26302 Mini flash trigger for Sony (compatible with NA-A7/A7II/A9/A7RIII/A7RIV)
- 26216 Universal Optical Fiber Cable
- 28130 Hand Strap for 28113 (For NA-A7RIV)
- 25218 Mounting Ball Set for Tripod (for NA-A9/A7RIII/BMPCC/XT3/A7RIV)
- 25056 M14 Nikonos 5-pin bulkhead with universal hotshoe connection
Both HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 are supported with the new M24 accessory port.
- Required accessories for HDMI 1.4 Cable System:
- 25081 M24-M16 Step Down Adaptor
- 25046 HDMI (D-D) cable in 200mm length (for internal housing connection)
- 25033 standard HDMI bulkhead with M16 thread
- (25046 and 25033 are included in NA-058/502H/FHD5/502B-H monitor housing).
- Required accessories for HDMI 2.0 Cable System:
- 25086 M24 adaptor for HDMI 2.0 cable (incl. tightening tool)
- 25087 M24D2R200-M28A1R170 HDMI 2.0 Cable (for NA-A7RIV to use with Ninja V housing)
- Recommended monitor housing:
- 17922 Nauticam Atomos Ninja V Housing for Atomos Ninja V 5” 4Kp60 4:2:2 10-bit Recorder/Monitor/Player (excl. HDMI 2.0 cable) (Include monitor hood, vacuum valve; exclude HDMI cable)
What's in the Box?
- NA-A7RIV Housing with Handles, and Set of Handle Brackets
- Spare Main O-ring (PN: 90120), O-ring remover and lubricant
- CR-2032 Battery (for Moisture Alarm)
- Set of Allen Keys
- Padded Travel Bag with Shoulder Strap
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight in air: 2.68kg
- Weight in water: 0.71kg includes camera and battery
- Dimensions: 348mm (W) × 200mm (H) × 123mm (D)
- Port Opening N100
Model Number: 17423
USA Retail Price: $3050
More information is available from Nauticam at: www.nauticam.com
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s