Inon has unveiled its new housing for the Panasonic Lumix GX9. First shown off during the last DEMA Show, the “X-2” housing has a lightweight aluminum construction, newly designed locking levers that eliminate accidental opening of the housing, a built-in leak alarm, and a comfortable, oversized shutter lever.
The company has developed a new port system to accompany the housing that supports a variety of lenses, including the Leica Macro-Elmarit 45mm and Panasonic 30mm macro, 8mm fisheye, and 14–42mm standard zoom. The Leica and Panasonic macro lenses are compatible with Inon’s Magnetic Rotary System, which makes manual focusing possible via a focus ring.
For availability and pricing information, contact your nearest Inon dealer.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
X-2 for GX9 is unveiled
INON INC. is pleased to announce official releases of new lightweight aluminum housing model for Panasonic mirrorless camera LUMIX DC-GX9(*1) on December 29th, 2018.
X-2 for GX9
- Release date: December 29th, 2018
- JAN code: 456212143 900 9
X-2 for GX9 (front)
X-2 for GX9 (back)
(*1) Contact Panasonic Corporation for detail of the camera/lenses. INON Inc. confirms product compatibility based on a camera/lenses available in Japan.
- Panasonic LUMIX DC-GX9
- The Panasonic LUMIX DC-GX9 is a micro four-thirds mirrorless camera with 20.3 megapixel Digital Live MOS sensor offering superior features including proven 4K video, 5-axis in-body and 2 axis in-lens dual I.S. image stabilization, ultra-high sensitivity capability ISO25600, flash sync speed 1/200 in its solid square compact body at budget conscious pricing range. The LUMIX DC-GX9 is an ideal camera for underwater imaging as camera has wide variety of interchangeable lens system including a fisheye lens which is popular optics to capture beauty of underwater world, a macro lens and so on.
X-2 for GX9 Specifications
- Lightweight and Compact Ultraprecise Robust Corrosion Resistance Cast Aluminum Body
- The X-2 for GX9 is made from lightweight yet corrosion resistance aluminum alloy combined machined front body and ultraprecise cast manufactured rear body. Using different manufacturing techniques have acquired reliability, durability and controllability even in severe underwater to fuse design, weight and durability.
- Compact Body Size W168 x H116 x D80mm/W6.6 x 4.6 x 3.1 inch
- The INON X-2 for GX9 is designed compact as well not to sacrifice compact body size of camera itself. However we never have had compromise its essential factors as an underwater housing such as waterproof property, durability offering same standard as proven X-2 housing series. The newly designed lock levers make it easy to open/close the housing without accidental fault without sacrificing compact body size.
- Installing a camera is easily and securely led by proven 3-dimension guiding system originally developed for the legend X1-Z housing where all you need is just putting camera inside of the housing without any optional adapter on the camera. Also shallow front body helps to hand on a camera during installation/removal of the camera without feeling stress.
- Stress-free Intuitive Control Layout
- The Panasonic LUMIX GX-9 has independent dials to control aperture, shutter speed, exposure compensation values instantly. The X-2 for GX9 is designed to have those dials as well and precisely locate those dials so that all dials are accessible and easily controlled as like controlling the camera on land with holding the housing. Together with large yet light touch shutter lever, these controls are comfortably support necessary operation underwater.
- Wide Variety of Lens Port to Support from Ultra macro to Fish-eye Imaging
- Newly designed lens port system is employed to accommodate with downsized housing. This enhance wide compatibility of attachment lenses including macro, wide and bug-eye (*2).
- The newly designed port system supports both LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm lens to shoot away from a subject and LUMIX G MACRO 30mm / F2.8 ASPH to shoot a subject from close range. In addition to supported LUMIX G FISHEYE 8mm / F3.5 fisheye lens, LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH standard zoom lens is supported to enjoy wide variety of wet lenses underwater as like using a compact camera system.
Left: LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH.＋ UWL-H100 28M67 Type2 Wide Conversion Lens. Center: LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. ＋ UFL-M150 ZM80 Underwater Micro Fisheye Lens. Right: LUMIX G MACRO 30mm / F2.8 ASPH
(*2) X-2 for GX9 compatible ports are not usable for other X1 or X-2 series housing as thread size differs from them.
- New MRS Port to Control by Magnet Attraction
- Two macro lenses LEICA DG MACRO-ELMARIT 45mm/F2.8 ASPH. /MEGA O.I.S. and LUMIX G MACRO 30mm/F2.8 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. are INON’s unique MRS (Magnetic Rotary System) compatible enabling manual focusing as like control focus ring of the lens on land. The MRS system is further refined to use for this compact housing having less rattle providing even smoother control feeling.
- Leak Detector with Red LED and Beep
- Waterproof property is an essential for an underwater housing, thus a leak detector is equipped with the housing to alert accidental flooding which could caused by improper O-ring handling. The leak detector warns you accidental flooding with red LED on the right bottom corner of the rear body with beeps.
X-2 for GX9 Lens Compatibility
- X-2 for GX9 Lens Compatibility
- X-2 for GX9 Lens Chart
- X-2 for GX9 Wet Lens Compatibility
Sample Photos by X-2 for GX9
- Subject: Ribonfish
- Equipment: Panasonic LUMIX-GX9 in X-2 for GX9, LUMIX G MACRO 30mm/F2.8 ASPH., 2x Z-330 strobe
- Setting: Manual exposure mode (F16, 1/25, ISO400), Z-330 set in Manual flash mode
- Photo by: R. Hattori (INON) at “Wannai” Osezaki, Shizuoka, Japan
- Subject: Hairy stingfish
- Equipment: Panasonic LUMIX-GX9 in X-2 for GX9, LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6II ASPH., UFL-M150 ZM80, 2x Z-330 strobe
- Setting: Manual exposure mode (F20, 1/6, ISO1600), Z-330 set in Manual flash mode
- Photo by: R. Hattori (INON) at “Bitagane” Atami, Shizuoka, Japan
- Subject: Cave
- Equipment: Panasonic LUMIX-GX9 in X-2 for GX9, LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6II ASPH., UWL-H100 + Dome Lens Unit II for UWL-H100, 2x Z-330 strobe
- Setting: Manual exposure mode (F5.6, 1/20, ISO1600), Z-330 set in Manual flash mode
- Photo by: R. Hattori (INON) at “Kosoga Cave” Atami, Shizuoka, Japan
- Subject: Emperor shrimp, Thecacera pacifica
- Equipment: Panasonic LUMIX-GX9 in X-2 for GX9, LEICA DG MACRO-ELEMARIT 45mm, UCL-67LD, 2x Z-330 strobe
- Setting: Manual exposure mode (F13, 1/40, ISO800), Z-330 set in Manual flash mode
- Photo by: R. Hattori (INON) at “Wannai” Osezaki, Shizuoka, Japan
*Press release information is as of December 27th, 2018 and subject to change without prior notice.
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >