Alongside the release of its new housing for the Panasonic Lumix S1 and S1R, Ikelite has announced the DL3 DS Link TTL converter, which is compatible with the new housing. Two other versions of the converter are designed to work with non-Ikelite housings for compatible Panasonic and Olympus mirrorless cameras featuring an appropriate accessory port.
As well as offering fast TTL triggering of Ikelite’s DS-series strobes via reliable electrical connections, the new DL3 TTL converter gives shooters the ability to switch between TTL and manual modes at the press of a button. In TTL mode, the converter supports flash exposure (EV) compensation set in the camera, and rear curtain sync flash modes are also supported. The device does not need batteries, since it is powered via the strobe.
The DL3 DS Link TTL converter is available as a kit with the PT1 hotshoe ($375) for the Ikelite 200DL housings for the Panasonic S1, S1R, GH5 and G9; or with an Ikelite ICS-5 bulkhead ($350) or with a Nikonos N5 bulkhead ($395) for non-Ikelite housings for cameras such as the Panasonic S1, S1R, GH5, and LX100 Mark II, and Olympus E-M1 Mark II, E-M5 Mark II, and E-M10 Mark II and III.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the products mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
DL3 DS Link Panasonic/Olympus TTL Converter Ikelite PT1 Hotshoe Kit
TTL strobe exposure opens up a whole new world of creative possibilities for both wide angle and macro photographer. Let your camera control the strobe output so that you can devote your attention to adjusting your camera's settings, composing the shot, and focusing on your subject.
- Faster, more accurate, and more reliable than fiber optic TTL triggers
- Always ready when you are - no batteries required
- Switch between TTL and manual exposure with the press of a button
- Supports flash exposure (EV) compensation set in the camera
- Supports rear curtain sync
- Improves strobe battery life and recycle time
- One TTL converter supports a wide selection of camera models
- Independently waterproof sealed
TTL or "Thru-the-Lens" flash metering means the camera evaluates the scene and communicates exposure information directly to the compatible flash. The camera automatically adjusts the power output of the external flash so you don't have to.
TTL exposure is faster and typically more accurate than setting the flash output manually. TTL can be the difference between getting a properly exposed image or not, especially when shooting fast-moving subjects and subjects that are moving towards or away from you. TTL is by far the easiest way to shoot perfectly exposed macro photography and allows you to concentrate on focus and framing.
Some people think TTL is only good for macro... but they're wrong! When shooting wide angle or close focus wide angle (CFWA), set your camera to properly expose the background and let the DL2 adjust your strobe intensity for proper exposure of the foreground.
Ikelite was the first company to introduce TTL for underwater strobes with Olympus digital cameras, and continues to set the standard for accuracy of Olympus TTL flash protocol.
Electrical flash triggering
Connecting an electrical sync cord is as quick and easy as screwing in a light bulb. Electrical triggering supports greater accuracy, faster rapid firing, and less missed flashes as compared to fiber optic triggering. Use of electrical TTL also dramatically increases strobe battery life.
The included PT1 TTL Hotshoe is necessary for TTL operation with most Ikelite DL housings. See Housing Compatibility information below.
The ultimate flexibility
Switch between TTL and manual flash exposure modes with the simple push of a button. A super bright LED indicator light shows you which mode you are in with a quick glance. When in TTL mode, flash exposure (EV) compensation can be accessed quickly and easily through the camera's menus. The DL3 DS Link fully supports rear curtain sync flash modes.
The DL3 DS Link is independently waterproof sealed and can be used with a wide array of camera models. Simply use a dual sync cord to fire two strobes in TTL from a single DL3 DS Link converter.
- Ikelite 200DL Housing for Panasonic Lumix GH5 # 71305
- Ikelite 200DL Housing for Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 # 71307
- Ikelite 200DL Housing for Panasonic Lumix DC-S1, S1R # 71301
- DS50 strobes: above serial number 75510 with update
- DS51 strobes: above serial number 78700
- DS125 strobes: above serial number 7928
- DS160, DS161 strobes: all
- DS200 strobes: above serial number 7163
- Not compatible with non-digital Ikelite strobes including but not limited to SS50, SS200, SS400, Ai, 100/A
- Not compatible with SEA&SEA, INON, or other non-Ikelite strobes
Sync Cord Compatibility
- Ikelite Housing to Ikelite Strobes # 45151
- Ikelite Housing to Two Ikelite Strobes # 45152
- Ikelite Housing to Ikelite Strobe # 4103.51 (out of production)
- Ikelite Housing to Two Ikelite Strobes # 4103.52 (out of production)
- 3.4 ounces (97g)
In the Box
- DL3 DS Link TTL converter # 46033
- PT1 Panasonic & Olympus TTL hotshoe # 46030
Product # 46032
MSRP $ 375.00
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s