Ikelite has announced the “RC1” TTL receiver, which is designed to provide true TTL exposure from Olympus and Panasonic cameras to the company’s DS strobes via fiber optic cable. Officially titled the RC1 Olympus & Panasonic TTL Receiver for DS Strobes, the product allows use of the cameras’ “RC Flash Mode.” This provides more accurate TTL by communicating calibrated exposure data.
The RC1 receiver attaches directly to the DS strobe—meaning if you are using two strobes, then you will need two receivers. You can also fine-tune the strobe output by using the controls on the strobe. The receiver is only compatible with Ikelite strobes (DS50, D51, DS125, DS160, DS161, and DS200).
Consult the press release below for further compatibility information. Ikelite’s RC1 receiver will be available at the end of August 2018 for a price of $125.
When purchasing underwater photography equipment like the product mentioned in this article, please support DPG by supporting our retail partner—Backscatter.com.
This product is in production for late August release. Contact your local dealer or contact us for information on how to pre-order yours today!
Enjoy true Olympus or Panasonic LUMIX TTL strobe exposure via fiber optic connection with your compatible Ikelite DS strobe.
With the RC1 TTL Receiver and a compatible camera with RC flash mode, actual exposure data is calibrated and communicated directly by the camera. This is far more accurate and consistent than "slave TTL" modes built into some underwater strobes which watch the camera's built-in flash and react.
An individual RC1 TTL Receiver and compatible fiber optic cord is needed for each strobe. Use of two strobes requires two receivers. See strobe and cable compatibility information below.
This product attaches to an Ikelite DS strobe. It is not intended to be attached to a housing and will provide no functionality if attached to a housing bulkhead. This receiver is not compatible with non-Ikelite strobes or non-digital Ikelite strobes.
RC Mode TTL Strobe Exposure
The Sensor makes DS Strobes compatible with the Olympus and Panasonic LUMIX RC flash mode, providing automatic TTL exposure. For accurate performance set the DS strobe to “TTL” and the camera’s flash mode to “RC”. Using the camera’s flash exposure compensation controls to make fine tuned adjustments to the strobe’s intensity.
Manual Strobe Exposure
The strobe's output may be adjusted using the manual power settings built into the strobe (varies by model). Make sure the camera’s flash mode is set to manual. Choose the minimum flash output necessary in the camera to trigger the DS strobe. This will conserve the camera’s battery power.
Camera & Housing Compatibility
Ikelite Housing Models:
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III in Ikelite Housing # 6950.13
- Olympus Stylus 1s in Ikelite Housing # 6139.51
- Olympus Tough TG-3, TG-4 in Ikelite Housing # 6233.03/6233.04/6233.05
- Olympus Tough TG-5 in Ikelite Housing # 6233.06/6233.07
Non-Ikelite Housing Models:
- Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II with FL-LM3 flash in Olympus or Nauticam Housing
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II with FL-LM3 flash in Olympus, Nauticam, or Isotta Housing
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 in Nauticam Housing
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II in Nauticam Housing
- Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III in Nauticam Housing
- Olympus Tough TG-3, TG-4 in Olympus, Nauticam, or Recsea Housing
- Olympus Tough TG-5 in Olympus, Nauticam, Isotta, or Recsea Housing
- Panasonic LUMIX GH3, GH4 with DMW-FL70 flash in any housing that supports use of the DMW-FL70 flash
- Panasonic LUMIX GH5, GH5s with DMW-FL70 flash in Nauticam or any housing that supports use of the DMW-FL70 flash
- Panasonic LUMIX GX8 with DMW-FL70 flash in Nauticam Housing
Fiber Optic Cord Compatibility:
- Ikelite Fiber Optic Coiled Cord # 4501
- INON Optical D Cable "Non-wireless type" L-Connector
- SEA&SEA Fiber Optic Cable (L-type) # 50107
- SEA&SEA Fiber Optic Cable II # 50128
- Olympus UW Fiber Optic Cable PTCB-E02
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable # 26211 Nauticam to INON
- Nauticam Optical Fiber Cable # 26212 Nauticam to Sea&Sea
Consult with your housing manufacturer for information on what type of fitting is provided at the housing end. The fiber optic ports on Ikelite housings are made to the same standard as SEA&SEA and Olympus brands.
- Ikelite DS50 above serial # 70000
- Ikelite D51
- Ikelite DS125 above serial # 5000
- Ikelite DS160, DS161
- Ikelite DS200 above serial # 7163
This product is not compatible with non-digital Ikelite strobes, SEA&SEA, INON, or other non-Ikelite strobes.
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >