Things got fluorescent at the Keldan video light booth this DEMA. The company has released an ultraviolet LED module that is compatible with any of the company’s video lights and is used to illuminate underwater fluorescence.
We also learned of soon-expected upgrades to LED performance, including a 15 percent increase in lumen output
Nauticam had more new gear than we could shake a stick (or strobe arm) at. So let’s dive right in…
Nauticam Super Macro Converter: Nauticam’s Chris Parson’s described this as “not your simple diopter.” It takes into account the water interface and maintains the working distance by adding a magnification of 2.3:1. It will be available within the month for a price tag of $480 in both flip and 67 thread.
LCD Magnifier: If you want to use your compact camera to shoot video, or simply want to get a better view of your playback screen, this LCD magnifier will make you feel like you’re wearing those glasses that play movies.
- New Leak Detector: As is the latest trend in the industry, Nauticam has incorporated a pressure sensor to help warn of leaks underwater. Compatible with any vacuum system, this new leak detector will be available with any forthcoming new housings.
Carbon Fiber Float Arms: Add buoyancy to your housing with ultra-durable, carbon fiber float arms—available in five sizes.
Nauticam unveiled numerous new compact housings. For the photographer looking for the SLR-type construction even for their compact camera, Nauticam’s housing provides access to all controls in a durable aluminum construction.
On display also was a prototype for the new Olympus OM-D E-M1 four-thirds camera. This housing really blurs the line between compact and SLR housings: It comes with an attached set of handles for stability and a more extended shutter button for easy cold water shooting.
The housing for the E-M1 is expected to be available by the end of the year.
SLR and Video Housings
- NA-70D: Chris confessed that the Canon 70D boasted the best underwater focusing ability he’s seen out of an SLR. Nauticam’s housing for the 70D is now shipping.
Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera: For the more reasonable budget, you can now house your Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Nauticam’s housing for the camera is the first.
The underwater imaging accessory specialists are known for providing a variety of lens rings for manual focus/adjustment. At DEMA, they announced a ring for the NEX-7’s 16-50mm lens, and it’s likely we will see more lens support in the future for these and Olympus mirrorless compact cameras.
We also caught a look at XIT404’s new quick release ball clamps, suited for easily removing strobes for off-camera use.
Right across the way from the DPG booth, Seashell had on display their polycarbonate housings for compact and mobile phone cameras.
Seashell’s latest mobile phone housing is for the Galaxy S3 and S4. Depth rated to 120 feet, these housings feature an anti-reflection optical lens that comes with a variety of accessories, like wide-angle wet lenses and red filters. The housings are available for $159.
The big news at Gates is the future release of their new generation of video lights. The 2000-lumen Generation 2 Video Light boasts some neat improvements, such as battery/power indicators on both sides of the light so you’re informed regardless of their position.
Other changes include a slightly flat design to prevent the light from rolling and a switch to slightly negative buoyancy to reduce size and increase compactness for travel. The lights are expected to be available next spring.
More eye candy…
Don’t be fooled by the name Handycam—the latest in the line (Sony XA25) features HDSDI output and 35 mb/sec write speed.
Sights of the Show Floor
Joel and Jennifer Penner from Backscatter
Susie and Mark from Worldwide Dive and Sail keep it cool
The people behind the DivEncounters Alliance pose with DPG publisher Matt Weiss
Doug and Kelvin from i-DiveSite looking stylish
The incredibly friendly group at New World Publications who publish our favorite set of fish ID books. They've just released the 3rd version of the Reef Creature and Reef Coral editions
The team at Critters@Lembeh
Backscatter's Jim Decker presents at the IRC stage
- An Underwater Photographer’s Guide to DEMA 2013
- DPG-Sponsored Image Resource Center Seminars
- Pool Party! The Famous DPG/Wetpixel Underwater Imaging Party Returns
- DEMA 2013: Day 1 (Backscatter, SeaLife, BS Kinetics, Reefnet)
- DEMA 2013: Day 2 (Ikelite, Aquatica, Light and Motion, Sea & Sea, Moli, I-divesite, Fantasea, Aquapazza, and Ultramax)
- DEMA 2013: Day 3 (Seacam, Epoque, Mangrove, Beneath the Surface, Subal, Big Blue, Bonica, Saga, Hugyfot, Equinox)
- DEMA 2013: Day 4 (Keldan, Nauticam, Seashell, Gates and the rest of the show floor)
- DEMA 2013: Pool Party Coverage
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >