After concerns about overheating in the new EOS R5 and R6, Canon released a firmware update for the former late last month that apparently lengthened the times you can record before the camera shuts down. Now it’s the turn of the latter, the R6, which seems to promise similar improvements.
According to the notes accompanying the release of firmware version 1.1.1: “Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.” The company doesn’t elaborate, and interested users—or potential buyers—should keep an eye on DPReview, who took the trouble to test the R5 with the new firmware update and plan to put the R6’s latest firmware to the test as well.
Canon also says the new firmware brings improved in-lens image stabilization when shooting “certain” RF lenses during video recording.
Download version 1.1.1 of the EOS R6 firmware here.
FROM CANON’S WEBSITE
Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
- A messaging is displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are both enabled.
- When the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM is attached, an image stabilization effect of approximately six stops* is achieved through collaborative control with the in-lens image stabilization.
*Focal length 500mm, Based on CIPA(Camera & Imaging Products Association) standards.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the IS capabilities may be degraded when performing continuous shooting in cases where the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM lens is attached to the EOS R6 running firmware version 1.1.0.
- When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the "Slow Synchro" setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
- Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
- Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
- Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
- The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s