It didn’t take long after the Canon EOS R5 was announced in early July for concerns to be raised about the camera’s talent for overheating when recording video. Now, a firmware update has been released that appears to lengthen the times you can record before the EOS R5 shuts down. The strange part? Canon’s press release makes no mention of it—instead, the improved record times are revealed by DPReview by comparing two cameras loaded up with the different firmware versions.
According to DPReview, the improvements are slight but noticeable. For example, the camera with Version 1.0 recorded 4K HQ for nearly 30 minutes before shutting down, while the camera with Version 1.1 recorded for nearly 40 minutes. As DPReview points out, it’s not clear why Canon don’t mention the issue in their documentation.
See below for the other “fixes and enhancements” that the firmware update brings.
FROM CANON’S WEBSITE
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:
- Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled.
- When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
- Fixes a phenomenon in which the “Slow Synchro” setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
- Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
- Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
- Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CF express cards.
- Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
- The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.
*The firmware scheduled for release in early September will incorporate the following improvements for the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM.
- Supports 6-stop image stabilization. (CIPA-compliant)
- Improves IS capabilities when performing continuous shooting under specific conditions.
Firmware Version 1.1.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.
Fantasea FG7X II
Ikelite Housing for Nikon D500
I-DiveSite Venom 35s
Plan Your Adventure >